Q FestSapana Mhatre | 20th Feb, 2015
Q Fest is monthly event organised by Queer Ink, celebrating LGTB lives in Mumbai, through arts, theatre, music, food, films and a market place.
Q Fest is organised every 2nd Sunday of the month, in partnership with The Hive.
The Hive is an urban centre for the arts and technology, spread over three floors and 4,500 sq.ft.
in Khar (W), Mumbai. It is a one of a kind eco-system focused on supporting and furthering the arts
and technology. It is a co-working space for start-ups, entrepreneurs and the creative community, a workshop and event space with classes cross disciplines for the mind and the body, a performance space to showcase budding and established talent and a cafe to eat, drink, unwind and work out of.
Email us on ‘QFest@Queer-Ink.com’ if you are interested in food, theatre, comedy, music and/or any skills, art, expertise you would like to share.
12 OCTOBER 2014 - Q-Fest #1 held at The Hive, Khar (W) Mumbai
- Books by Bombay Underground
- Delicacies by 8 Food
- Tarot reading by Nolan Lewis
- Indie graphic novels by Won-Tolla
- Clothes and accessories by Love Knits
- Art by Digital Keeda.
- More art by Paintcollar
- Art by KP Cartooning
- Art by Sasha
- Queer Ink with Pride merchandise
As part of Queer Ink’s safe spaces initiatives, we are co-hosting the following:
- Screenplay Writing & Film Direction Workshop by Faraz
Capoeira with Reza Baba Massah
- A seminar on patriarchy and feminism- What they don’t tell us by Devdutt Pattanaik
Play: 91.27% gayboy and Paradoxia
- Other events:
Music on the Big Mic vol 28
- Screening – CinePlay Evenings: Bombay Talkies
NSPA artists will be performing at each level of our open terraces at The Hive:
Pop rock with singer/guitarist Thomas Albert and guitarist Nikhil Nair
Carnatic violinist Mukund Ramaswamy, western classical violinist Roger Mendonca, and flamenco guitarist Rohit Astekar.
Singer/guitarist Abhisshek Chapke and djembe player Sunit Borkar.
Carnatic violinist Mukund Ramaswamy and mridangam player Dakshinamurthy.
Konkani folk, Indie and Country with Heloise Saldanha and guitarist Clint Braganza
Singers/guitarists Anusha Ramasubramoney and Rachel Philip.
14th DECEMBER 2014 - Q-Fest #3 held at The Hive, Khar (W) Mumbai
QAM and The Hive present Q Fest to kickstart the QAM activities for Mumbai Pride 2015.
- Films: XXYY and What the T? (Free)
Kristi Bruce and Howard Devore, both born intersex, talk eloquently about their experience
of a medical model based upon shame, secrecy, and forced "normalization.
- "What the T?
A documentary that explores the challenges, successes and lives of five transgender women;
a multi-character study and an introduction to the uninitiated.
- Gay Bombay Workshop: I Love My Body
- NSPA Performers (Free)
- Saurabh & Saattiv 'संगीतिका' - A Musical Treat with Saurabh on Vocals with Saattvic on Tabla (Free)
- The Rainbow Mic
Featuring Poets: Rochelle D’silva, Ramneek Singh, Savesh Talreja & Unaiza Merchant;
Musicians: Nikhil D’souza & Christabel Menzes and Comedian Navin Noronha (Entry Fee Rs.200.00)
11th JANUARY 2015 - Q-Fest #4 held at The Hive, Khar (W) Mumbai
QAM 2015 and The Hive present Q Fest
- Marathi Literature with Bindumadhav Khire
"Fun with Acrylics Workshop with Trishna Patnaik. "
In this workshop you will create your very own abstract masterpiece using acrylics as a medium.
- PANDEY BECHAN SHARMA 'UGRA'
Better known by his pen-name ‘Ugra’ (extreme), he is not only an exemplary writer of his time, but is also a necessary intervention to create a revolution in literature and journalism. His collection of Hindi short stories entitled Chocolate (1927), triggered the first public debate on homosexuality in modern India and created such an uproar that almost every major public figure, from Premchand to Gandhi, joined in the discussion.
- SAADAT HASAN ‘MANTO’
He is undoubtedly one of the best short-story tellers of the 20th century, and one of the most controversial as well. He is often compared with D. H. Lawrence, and like Lawrence he also wrote about the topics considered social taboos in Indo-Pakistani Society- incest, rape, prostitution and homosexuality ; but always stamped with his vivid satire and a unique sense of humor.
- JASHN-E-QALAM DRAMATIC READINGS honours the inimitable spirit and artistry of these iconoclasts for their courage to displace many idols — sex, religion and love — through stark writing that placed humanity above everything else.
Duration: 60 Minutes - Ticket: Rs. 100 - Language: Hindustani & English
- Imagine Me and You (Free Screening)
Imagine Me & You is a 2006 British-American comedy-romance film written and directed by Ol Parker. It centres on the relationship between Rachel (Piper Perabo) and Luce (Lena Headey), who meet on Rachel's wedding day.
- Bawi Bride Food Pop Up!
Per person Rs 1250.00
Limited seats available and confirmations only on pre-sale.
Those interested please register here: http://goo.gl/forms/J5RvDE02KA .
Registrations close on Thursday evening The incredibly talented chef at Bawi Bride,
Perzen Darukhanawalla Patel is cooking up a Parsi feast for you at The Hive
on January 11, 2015.
Her mutli-course menu of Lagan Nu Bhonu includes :
Rotli and Gajar Mewa nu Achaar
Topli Na Paneer
Saas ni Machchi
Gosht no Pulao Dar
Lagan nu Custard
8th MARCH 2015 - Q-Fest #6 held at The Hive, Khar (W) Mumbai
Theme: Queering Women's Day
- Qissa Screening + Discussion (Free)
|Panelists: Rasika Dugal, Tisca Chopra, Tillotama Shome
- Break the Act - Breaking Gender Stereotypes (fee Rs.100.00)
- SatyamevJayate, Accepting Alternative Sexualities Screening + Discussion (Free)
| Panelists : Svati Chakravarty Bhatkal (Co-Director & Field Research Head), Gazal Dhaliwal and Divya
- Jashn-E-Qalam Dramatic Readings from Ismat Chugtai and Amrita Pritam scripts. (Rs.100.00)
- Dinner: Popaddam at The Hive (Kerala-Mallu cuisine) Rs.1,250 per person.
- The Rainbow Mic (fee Rs.200.00)
- Lavni Performance by Nikhil Ghume: Celebrating x Chromosome- either you have single or double (Rs.100.00)
Q Fest #7
12th April 2015 - Q-Fest #7 held at The Hive, Khar (W) Mumbai
1:00pm-4:00pm - Q Marathi | Jayjaykar | Movie Screening and Discussion with Director (FREE)
5:00pm-6:00pm - "Canvas" by Playpen Performing Arts Group (Rs.100)
7:00pm-8:00pm - Asmanjasbabu Ki Atmakatha (Rs.250)
8:30pm-10:00pm - Best In Stand Up Featuring Varun Grover, Bhavish and Sundeep Sharma (Rs.350)
6:30pm-8:30pm - The Rainbow Mic (Rs.300)
9:00pm-10:00pm - Notes in a Song with Thomas Albert (Rs.200)
3:00pm-9:00pm - Springtime of poets - Writing Workshop & Open House: Activism & Poetry (FREE)
5:00pm-6:00pm - Q Conversations on Queer Creativity, Entrepreneurship and Lives in India. (FREE)
December 13, 2015 - Qfest # 15 held at Cuckoo Club, Pali Hill, Bandra West, Mumbai
- 4 pm - 5.30 pm | Qconversations | Beyond Boundaries
- 5.30 pm - 7 pm Pride Just Aroumd the corner Reliving across India 2008-2015 Curated by Romal Singh
- 7 pm - 8 pm Hive Meet up for emerging script-writers and film makers